Saturday, July 11, 2009

4th of July Weekend Part II: Portland


I have a new favorite bookstore: Rabelais! Not just cookbooks, but food books. And how have I never heard of the eponymous Rabelais (novel-inventer, Swift-influencer, tosser-off of deathbed witticism)? The owners are husband-and-wife Brooklyners who seem to have set up shop partly so they could defy those who admire photos of elaborate dishes but exclaim "No one cooks like that at home!"

Portland has become a destination foodie city in the past few years and even reminds me a little of Brooklyn with its passion for sustainable but fancy ingredients and a casual vibe. Duckfat fits this description.

The main attraction is french fries fried in... duck fat. We forwent the Poutine, which is like a parfait with layers of fries, cheese curd and duck gravy, and tried a few of the sauces: truffle ketchup (Heinz + truffle oil!), Thai chili mayo and my favorite, horseradish mayo.

However, I was equally ecstatic to see a yummy version of my favorite kind of salad: greens + cheese (ricotta) + fruit (strawberries) + texture (fennel). Fresh, bright and the perfect antidote to bad-for-you, ducky wonderfulness.

I couldn't resist the sweet potato curry soup, which I thought might be too wintry but was the perfect spicy counterpoint.

Now that I'm back I'll have to start cooking from some of the books J bought. Maybe I'll finally try a souffle....

No comments:

Post a Comment