Friday, July 10, 2009

4th of July Weekend Part I: Waterford


The 4th of July in my hometown:

7:30 am. Town breakfast at the Wilkins House followed by rummage sale in the basement and book sale at the library. J found a funny little card game called Filch that no one knows how to play.


11 am. Parade through the Village Green (followed by bonus parade when everyone has to turn around and come back because there is only one road).

2 pm. Wait for the rain to stop so we can grill burgers. Eat with potato salad, beer, and homemade ice cream. Play lots of cards. Nap.


Sunday: Remember how to drive. Stop for as many lobster rolls as possible. Debate worthiness of lobster premixed with mayonnaise vs. anadulterated lobster meat.


I no longer get to ride in the fire truck, family members are farther flung, and it is difficult for me to reconcile the relaxed mood of family downtime with the get-up-and-go that is J's and my usual vacation mode. But the air and the trees and the cards (even the rain, which I vocally oppose but secretly love) are still restorative.

No comments:

Post a Comment